4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

4Enclave Logo ideas?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

PostSubject: 4Enclave Logo ideas?   Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:47 am

Wondering if anybody has ideas of what might make a good 4Enclave logo.

The word enclave has progressively come into common usage to denote also any non-sovereign or sovereign territory, generally a small coastal territory, that is partly surrounded by one or several larger states.

The Protectors Enclave (is a location in Neverwinter)

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” - Lazarus Long via Robert Heinlein.

One suspects Lugh Long-hand Samildánach (a wright/carpenter, a sailor, a smith/bronze craftsman, a healer, a champion, a harpist, a poet/historian, a sorcerer, cupbearer) would agree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4Enclave Logo ideas?   Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:36 pm

Just to start it off perhaps an Island  with a bay kind of Like Neverland wrapped around the front of the 4Enclave

I lke maps ;p

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” - Lazarus Long via Robert Heinlein.

One suspects Lugh Long-hand Samildánach (a wright/carpenter, a sailor, a smith/bronze craftsman, a healer, a champion, a harpist, a poet/historian, a sorcerer, cupbearer) would agree.
Back to top Go down
cyvaris
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: 4Enclave Logo ideas?   Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:38 pm

I'd personally think something that is a play on the 4e Ampersand logo could be cool. Maybe with "4enclave" spliced into it somehow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4Enclave Logo ideas?   Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:18 am

I might whip something up using that idea... wont be a copy just something that is inspired by the Ampersand Dragon

Back to top Go down
seti
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: seti
Class: warden
Race: hedgehog

PostSubject: Re: 4Enclave Logo ideas?   Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:40 am

I was just playing around with some logo ideas involving maps, etc. It's a bit of drawing and a bit of photoshop

" />

There's lots more I could do...and I've kept it in layers...so, any ideas?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4Enclave Logo ideas?   Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:28 am

seti wrote:
I was just playing around with some logo ideas involving maps, etc. It's a bit of drawing and a bit of photoshop

" />

That's fun... at current we have nothing.

Maps almost need, "here there there be dragons"

Back to top Go down
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4Enclave Logo ideas?   Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:48 am

Garthanos wrote:
seti wrote:

" />

That's fun... at current we have nothing.

Maps almost need, "here there there be dragons"
I would also drop shadow under d20 and cut a touch off the top.

Back to top Go down
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

PostSubject: Re: 4Enclave Logo ideas?   Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:09 pm

I rather like it. But I also agree with Garthanos' ideas. I would like to help with logo creation more but I have absolutely no skills with photo editing or creation. A here be dragons spot would be cool.

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear.” - H. P. Lovecraft

Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tequila Sunrise
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: 4Enclave Logo ideas?   Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:55 pm

Ooh I like it, Seti! Except for the d20...the geometric precision clashes with the olde timey style of the rest. Not sure if I'd rather see it replaced by a stylized "ink on parchment" d20, or see it simply dropped.

seti
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4Enclave Logo ideas?   Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:41 pm

Thanks for the input. I'll keep working on it, of course. I agree the D20 stands out a bit much, even with its colors toned to match the map. I'll try a drop shadow, and actually draw one to place on the 'parchment' as if it was drawn there. LOL, 'here there be dragons'. As long as the Tolkien estate doesn't sue, Wink sure, no prob.

My method is to sketch on paper, scan, and use photoshop for the layering, compositing, and color.

I do have a few quill pens I can use too. You cannot replicate the 'feel' of real drawing, especially a real quill pen, in software, IMO. So...I do both.

I do think the 1" grid needs to be represented, and I do like the compass-like '4E' part of 4Enclave. Although, I might take out or shrink the circle part. It bugs me.

If this will be used by this site, I can adjust the file type, file size, and proportions/composition of the rectangle to fit whatever is needed, of course. The image file is 1000x3000 pixels or so, and each element is its own layer in PS. Plenty big for something that won't be printed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Name: Admin
Class: Admin
Race: Immortal Astral Being

PostSubject: Re: 4Enclave Logo ideas?   Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:59 am

I like the ideas! Very Happy

In terms of file types a .bmp, .jpg, will work if you can do that but for sizes I have a few I might would recommend 728 x 210, or 720 x 300. But I don't know much about this type of stuff so what ever you think would look nice at the top of the site.

I'm not really sure what I could do to repay you for your hard work though. Is there anything you would like in return?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://4enclave.roleplaylife.net
seti
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4Enclave Logo ideas?   Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:08 am

Yeah, I'd figure banner size (700-ish x 2-300ish x 72 dpi) would work. I start big, because you can always shrink...but you can't just 'grow' a pixel image. (Despite what tv shows like CSI show, lmao.)

And don't worry about a 'payment'. I do this as a hobby, and semi-professionally. I sell non-digital works ( paintings and drawings) in galleries. I'm not some awesome web/graphic/digital designer or anything.

But, if anyone asks, point them at me Smile.

Last edited by seti on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4Enclave Logo ideas?   Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:10 am

Fair enough. Very Happy

But how about a custom title for the site at least?
Back to top Go down
seti
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4Enclave Logo ideas?   Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:59 pm

Ok, here's another version...And I have it saved as a bitmap measuring 730x300x72 dpi.

If you guys like it, and want to use it at the top of the site, just let me know how to e-mail whomever is in charge the .bmp file.

Nothing is set in stone, I still have stuff saved as a big-ass photoshop layered file, so changes can always be made.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4Enclave Logo ideas?   Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:45 am

seti wrote:
Ok, here's another version...And I have it saved as a bitmap measuring 730x300x72 dpi.
I would have gone with the same pen and ink look for the d20 as the main text perhaps.

I am thinking maybe some washed out blue's around the edges of the ocean area might be interesting (the 4enclave site currently has so much blue in it, can that be changed ?) =maybe similar to the look used in the neverland map.

Back to top Go down
seti
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4Enclave Logo ideas?   Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:43 pm

I like this one better. The blue was a good idea. I just ditched the d20...Doesn't really need it. I also changed the 'old paper' background.

[img][/img]

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

PostSubject: Re: 4Enclave Logo ideas?   Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:41 am

That looks pretty sweet if you ask me. Smile 

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear.” - H. P. Lovecraft

Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tequila Sunrise
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: 4Enclave Logo ideas?   Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:47 am

Niiice! Much much better without the d20.

So when can we get this bad boy up on the page? Smile

Admin
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4Enclave Logo ideas?   Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:17 pm

I sent you the email address you can send it to when you are done. Smile
Back to top Go down
Durriken
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: Durriken
Class: Disestablishmentarian
Race: Green dragon

PostSubject: Re: 4Enclave Logo ideas?   Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:50 pm

The one with the blue is much better. Without it, it was kinds blah. And agree, no d20 needed.

TjD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4Enclave Logo ideas?   Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:18 pm

I love how the 4 has the look of a north arrow map compass... without being too heavy about it.
And the square map grid is evocative of 4e

Around land masses there in the water there are subtle lines that imply the waves I think those could be emphasized a bit more (perhaps with light highlight beside them) but I am getting picky.

One test by the way if you are doing professional logo design is how well its readable when you miniaturize it. So I tested it as my Avatar... it looks like it might be worth considering bolder elements

Though at a certain point creating a version specific for uses like that might be reasonable. Like one just showing the 4E not the whole name?

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4Enclave Logo ideas?   Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:47 pm

Yes if one was made just utilizing the "4e" I could make it the default avatar image.
Back to top Go down
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4Enclave Logo ideas?   Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:02 pm

cropped it myself for deomonstration pirat 

Back to top Go down
seti
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4Enclave Logo ideas?   Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:09 pm

Yeah, last night, while looking at it, I felt like I wanted to re-draw the whole '4Enclave' bit, lol. You're never 100% happy with and you're never finished with any kind of creative work. You just stop at some point, and move on.

I'll probably make a new '4Enclave' bit another day...Draw it larger, etc...And scan it. I do think the 4E as a compass on an antique-looking fantasy map is a good idea for a logo, though. I'm not going to screw that up Wink.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: 4Enclave Logo ideas?   Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:26 pm

Alright. I've made the image the logo. I've cropped it a little and re-sized it. Tell me what you think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4Enclave Logo ideas?   

Back to top Go down

4Enclave Logo ideas?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4ENCLAVE :: 4th Edition :: 4e General Discussion-
Jump to: