4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Halloween Theme: How would you design a Witch....(not using witch class)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

PostSubject: Halloween Theme: How would you design a Witch....(not using witch class)   Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:25 pm

I have done this a number of times actually and had great success I will post my favorite a little later.

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” - Lazarus Long via Robert Heinlein.

One suspects Lugh Long-hand Samildánach (a wright/carpenter, a sailor, a smith/bronze craftsman, a healer, a champion, a harpist, a poet/historian, a sorcerer, cupbearer) would agree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Halloween Theme: How would you design a Witch....(not using witch class)   Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:14 pm

Female Warlock. I mean, most classic literature considers Warlocks a male equivalent to Witches anyways... If I wanted to go the witch's brew route, I could just grab Alchemist/Ritual Caster and get recipes/Brew Potion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Halloween Theme: How would you design a Witch....(not using witch class)   Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:06 pm

Warlocks are hmmmm actually less authentic than other classes ;p

Heh, my favorites shoot for things like "Thricefold returns" and the price of power like Malediction invokers and Blood-mages. Then there is the Charmed ones who have birth gifts which would be identified as Sorcerors in D&D.

To be honest the closest I can find to a legendary cleric (with all the parameters) was identified historically as practicing witchcraft... and I might well build a witch using that class bounce 

Our wedding ceremony was performed by a Wiccan Priestess
(but I wrote it).

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” - Lazarus Long via Robert Heinlein.

One suspects Lugh Long-hand Samildánach (a wright/carpenter, a sailor, a smith/bronze craftsman, a healer, a champion, a harpist, a poet/historian, a sorcerer, cupbearer) would agree.
Back to top Go down
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Halloween Theme: How would you design a Witch....(not using witch class)   Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:18 pm

There is also the Vishtani (sp) feats that capture the evil eye flavor element so that can be cross class.

Back to top Go down
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Sabrina, Malediction Invoker Witch of the Gray Vale.   Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:22 pm

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Sabrina, level 6
Human, Invoker
Build: Malediction Invoker
Divine Covenant: Covenant of Malediction
Human Power Selection: Bonus At-Will Power
Background: Forest Warden, Gray Vale (Gray Vale Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 15, Wis 17, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 15, Wis 16, Cha 8.

AC: 23 Fort: 19 Reflex: 18 Will: 19
HP: 46 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +10, Intimidate +7, Religion +10, Insight +13, Endurance +11, Nature +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +6, Heal +6, History +5, Perception +6, Stealth +3, Streetwise +2, Thievery +3, Athletics +4

FEATS
Learned Spellcaster: Alchemist
Human: Learned Spellcaster
Level 1: Alchemical Opportunist
Level 2: Arcane Familiar
Level 4: Armor Proficiency: Scale
Level 6: Baleful Malediction

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Vanguard's Lightning
Invoker at-will 1: Visions of Blood
Invoker at-will 1: Astral Wind
Invoker encounter 1: Astral Terror
Invoker daily 1: Invocation of Ice and Fire
Invoker utility 2: Miraculous Fortune
Invoker encounter 3: Word of Ruin
Invoker daily 5: Deluge of Blood
Invoker utility 6: Solid Fog

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Magic Scale Armor +2, Cape of the Mountebank +1, Adventurer's Kit, Earthroot Staff +2
RITUALS
Hand of Fate, Animal Messenger, Brew Potion, Simbul's Conversion, Unseen Servant, Wizard's Curtain, Tree Shape, Summon Winds, Commune With Nature, Cure Disease, Magic Circle, Transfer Enchantment, Enchant Magic Item, Pyrotechnics
FORMULAS
Drowsy Dust, Antivenom, Clearsense Powder, Tanglefoot Bag, Bloodstinger Poison, Alchemist's Acid, Alchemist's Fire, Alchemist's Frost, Dragonfire Tar, Scroll of Alchemist's Fire
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Back to top Go down
Durriken
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: Durriken
Class: Disestablishmentarian
Race: Green dragon

PostSubject: Re: Halloween Theme: How would you design a Witch....(not using witch class)   Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:02 am

The stereotypical witch thing, to me at least, is turning someone into a toad. So you need to have slimy transmutation. So I would have to go with either a wizard or a hybrid wizard. I'd also want ritual caster and alchemist for all the "witchy" things there.
If I have time tonight I might give it a go.

TjD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Halloween Theme: How would you design a Witch....(not using witch class)   Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:54 am

There are a lot of ways to go with it, and that is a huge element of what makes it fun.

Tuathan or a Dabble of druid for personal transformations is also to type.

One could use Maid, Mother and Crone (Athene, Hera, Hecate) as archetypes for her to channel.

Back to top Go down
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Halloween Theme: How would you design a Witch....(not using witch class)   Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:45 pm

Durriken wrote:
The stereotypical witch thing, to me at least, is turning someone into a toad.  So you need to have slimy transmutation.  So I would have to go with either a wizard or a hybrid wizard.  I'd also want ritual caster and alchemist for all the "witchy" things there.
If I have time tonight I might give it a go.

TjD
Speaking of which .. I have one of my free form house rules that applies a maximum effect for most attacks including this spell if the subject is a minion - for this one against minions the effect is permanent. (or can be removed via a ritual).

Back to top Go down
CHIA

PostSubject: Re: Halloween Theme: How would you design a Witch....(not using witch class)   Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:01 pm

ToeSama wrote:
Female Warlock. I mean, most classic literature considers Warlocks a male equivalent to Witches anyways... If I wanted to go the witch's brew route, I could just grab Alchemist/Ritual Caster and get recipes/Brew Potion.

Agreed, and they can perform the hex schtick quite well.

/Troy McClure
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Halloween Theme: How would you design a Witch....(not using witch class)   Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:58 am

I know old thread but I think I tweaked Sabrina to considerably better evoke the Classic  witch... and fixed the missing ritualist (although at the expense of not having scale armor) also got an extra trained skill , plus she gets Beast Switch too (though just once per encounter).  Plus a compliment of Darksun wild talents for extra cantrip like fun. The opportunist feat is to capture the feel of the charmed ones.  Her familiar rounds it out... Book Imp for now but maybe a Cat instead. Sehanine being her goddess.

Theme: Alchemist (gains the Feat Alchemist)

Sabrina, level 6
Human, Invoker
Background: Forest Warden, Gray Vale (Gray Vale Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 19, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

AC: 17 Fort: 17 Reflex: 19 Will: 20
HP: 43 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +13, History +13, Religion +11, Intimidate +7, Insight +12, Endurance +9, Nature +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +7, Heal +7, Perception +7, Stealth +3, Streetwise +2, Thievery +3, Athletics +4

FEATS
Invoker: Ritual Caster
Human: Arcane Initiate
Level 1: Wild Talent Master
Level 2: Alchemical Opportunist
Level 4: Learned Spellcaster
Level 6: Arcane Familiar

POWERS
Arcane Initiate: Beast Switch
Dark Sun: Psionic Spark
Wild Talent Master: Psionic Image
Wild Talent Master: Thought Projection
Wild Talent Master: Telekinetic Grasp

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Cape of the Mountebank +1, Adventurer's Kit, Earthroot Staff +2, Magic Scale Armor +2
RITUALS
Hand of Fate, Animal Messenger, Brew Potion, Simbul's Conversion, Unseen Servant, Wizard's Curtain, Tree Shape, Summon Winds, Commune With Nature, Cure Disease, Magic Circle, Transfer Enchantment, Enchant Magic Item, Pyrotechnics
FORMULAS
Drowsy Dust, Antivenom, Clearsense Powder, Tanglefoot Bag, Bloodstinger Poison, Alchemist's Acid, Alchemist's Fire, Alchemist's Frost, Dragonfire Tar, Scroll of Alchemist's Fire

Back to top Go down
lawlesslands
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Halloween Theme: How would you design a Witch....(not using witch class)   Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:21 am

Funnily enough, I came across this website last week which had an article on Witches (I think Witches are his favourite class and he's always trying to build them - there are a lot of Witch articles at least), I skipped over it at the time but here goes:

http://theotherside.timsbrannan.com/2011/01/tom-moldvay-on-witches.html

He quotes Tom Moldvay's list of things that a Witch class should include:

1. The ability to use herbs for healing and magic.
2. The power of fascination, like a super-charm ability.
3. A combination of both Clerical and Magic-User abilities.
4. The ability to practice sympathetic magic.
5. Be worshipers, in secret, of a religion otherwise forbidden in a particular era.
6. Powers based on nature and the cycle of seasons, similar to Druidic* powers.

Sabrina is lacking a bit on clerical style powers but the Brew Potion, Cure Disease and Antivenom Rituals/Formulas have you covered. And Commune with Nature, Summon Winds, Tree Shape... cover the Druidic side.

Sorted. 6/6.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Halloween Theme: How would you design a Witch....(not using witch class)   Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:30 pm

Invokers are a divine class Wink and Maledication is the curse ofcourse

Damn it just realized she doesnt have healing trained.... that is a fail grumble... thought it was done Wink

Back to top Go down
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Halloween Theme: How would you design a Witch....(not using witch class)   Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:32 pm

I think she also needs the ritual comrades succur..... its basically a coven style power.

That is an interesting article.

ok here it is.. with healing skill (needed an earthy practical background to enable it) and comrades succor

Theme: Alchemist (provides Alchemy feat0

Sabrina, level 6
Human, Invoker
Background: Hand-For-Hire (Heal class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 19, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

AC: 22 Fort: 17 Reflex: 19 Will: 20
HP: 43 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +13, History +13, Religion +11, Intimidate +7, Heal +12, Endurance +8, Nature +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +7, Insight +7, Perception +7, Stealth +2, Streetwise +2, Thievery +2, Athletics +3

FEATS
Invoker: Ritual Caster
Theme: Alchemist
Human: Arcane Initiate
Level 1: Wild Talent Master
Level 2: Alchemical Opportunist
Level 4: Learned Spellcaster
Level 6: Arcane Familiar

POWERS
Arcane Initiate: Beast Switch
Dark Sun: Psionic Spark
Wild Talent Master: Psionic Image
Wild Talent Master: Thought Projection
Wild Talent Master: Telekinetic Grasp

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Cape of the Mountebank +1, Adventurer's Kit, Earthroot Staff +2, Summoned Finemail +2, Amulet of Life +1
RITUALS
Hand of Fate, Animal Messenger, Brew Potion, Simbul's Conversion, Unseen Servant, Wizard's Curtain, Tree Shape, Summon Winds, Commune With Nature, Cure Disease, Magic Circle, Transfer Enchantment, Enchant Magic Item, Pyrotechnics, Comrades' Succor
FORMULAS

Back to top Go down
skwyd42
Paragon Adventurer
Paragon Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: Alain Smith IV
Class: Vampire
Race: Half-Elf

PostSubject: Re: Halloween Theme: How would you design a Witch....(not using witch class)   Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:26 am

I love it! In 3.x, Mongoose Publishing came out with the Quintessential Witch. It was a core class based around the historical concept of a pagan/shaman witch. It was a fun class to play and I got to play it up to like 8th level. Kelven was his name. And he had an orange tabby cat as a familiar, named Hobes (with a long "oh" sound). So yes, we were Kelven and Hobes. Anyway...

We used a few alternate rules in 3.x so that I was able to give up some XP to train my familiar to cast a spell I knew as a spell-like ability 3x per day. So Hobes could use 3 Cure Light and 3 Cure Moderate per day. I had every single person in that party at one time or another put themselves into harms way just to save my cat. Oh, and Hobes could talk as well, but since he was rather obnoxious, he rarely did. He just assumed everyone was not as smart as he was.

Anyway, I should make a Witch character at some point, maybe try to recreate Kelven and see what I can come up with. Has anyone thought of using the Shaman as a starting point?

Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Halloween Theme: How would you design a Witch....(not using witch class)   Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:30 am

I am sure a shaman will work for avery heavily familiar oriented witch Wink

I came up with a ritual so my daughters unicorn priestess (shaman) can be a unicorn rider ... it allows her spirit to become truly physical for a time and act as a mount

Back to top Go down
skwyd42
Paragon Adventurer
Paragon Adventurer

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Halloween Theme: How would you design a Witch....(not using witch class)   Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:24 am

I started fiddling with recreating my old Witch character from 3.5, starting with a Shaman. I took the Animal Master background to give him a cat (instead of MC into an arcane class and taking a familiar). I was thinking that for flavor, I could have his spirit companion actually embody his pet, or something like that. Lots of stuff to use for flavor. I like that!

Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Halloween Theme: How would you design a Witch....(not using witch class)   Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:14 pm

skwyd42 wrote:
I started fiddling with recreating my old Witch character from 3.5, starting with a Shaman. I took the Animal Master background to give him a cat (instead of MC into an arcane class and taking a familiar). I was thinking that for flavor, I could have his spirit companion actually embody his pet, or something like that. Lots of stuff to use for flavor. I like that!

Cool beans yes the Shamans spirit seems like it would work for the pets battle functionality

Post what you create!!!!

Back to top Go down
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Halloween Theme: How would you design a Witch....(not using witch class)   Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:11 pm

skwyd42 wrote:

Still wanting to see this witch come to life

Back to top Go down
skwyd42
Paragon Adventurer
Paragon Adventurer

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Halloween Theme: How would you design a Witch....(not using witch class)   Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:41 pm

Garthanos wrote:
skwyd42 wrote:

Still wanting to see this witch come to life

Me too. Sadly, due to my work schedule (been up to about 60 hours a week) and the hiatus of my D&D game (due to scheduling conflicts) I haven't touched anything D&D for a long time. Hopefully soon...

Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Halloween Theme: How would you design a Witch....(not using witch class)   Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:48 pm

I wonder why Sabrinas strength is 13 and her Charisma is only 8....

In my own character builder using CBloader
I have made a feat that is like wild talent mastery ... but for regular cantrips.

I may be outright excluding the cantrips from essentials
The spook and suggestions are cheap skill swaps that seem designed to make the wizard like the bard... as though it really needed a boost.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Halloween Theme: How would you design a Witch....(not using witch class)   

Back to top Go down

Halloween Theme: How would you design a Witch....(not using witch class)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4ENCLAVE :: 4th Edition :: 4e Character Development-
Jump to: