4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Lack of two weapon fighting in 4E

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

PostSubject: Re: Lack of two weapon fighting in 4E   Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:20 am

thanson02 wrote:
Garthanos wrote:
So is that a potency translation between a magic item and a power?  A daily item power or boon/blessing/grandmaster training is analogous to an encounter personal power?

From what I have seen between AV 1 and PH1, yes.  Many of the Daily powers presented in AV1 at least from what I saw matched up power-wise to the class encounter powers in the PH.  Take Battering Weapon in AV1, p. 63.

Battering Weapon, Lv. 11
Power (Daily): Standard Action.  Make a Melee basic attack with this weapon against all enemies within a close blast 3.

Now with the fighter class:

Giant's Wake, Lv. 13 (closest example level-wise in PH1)
Power (Encounter): Standard Action.  Attack Primary target.  Make a second attack against each target adjacent to the primary target within your melee reach.

So not the same, but similar.  With the example with Davros Elden's Blinding Strike, which is the same as Gauntlets of Blinding Strike in AV1, you have:

Power (Daily), lv. 11: Standard Action.  Make two melee basic attacks with a -2 penalty to the attack roll.

Now, looking at the Ranger, they basically get this power without the penalty as an at-will at lv. 1 and at lv. 5, they get Two-Wolf Pounce as a daily, where they can shift, make an attack, shift again and make a second attack.  I did not see any twin attacks at level 11 for the ranger, but I was just looking in PH1.  So in this case, they didn't seem to match up.  And from what I read in DMG2, they encouraged working with variations of powers to mix things up and keep the boons from feeling like magic weapons or regular powers.

The only thing I am thinking that would be a hiccup would be how much the Grandmaster Training would cost if you decided to use class powers instead of magic item powers.
Among other things I want to design more and use more GMT/Boons/Blessings. They can feel more naturalistic in how they are learned. (imagine almost all advancement encapsulated that way?)

Personally I am thinking improved consistency might not hurt anything.

The rangers at-wills are rather caught up in their role but items (and there analog) are generally speaking open to all. Also the rangers twin strike is over powered due in part to scaling too well from stacking of static bonuses - the irrationality of using two large weapons from the ranger is probably not even the problem.

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” - Lazarus Long via Robert Heinlein.

One suspects Lugh Long-hand Samildánach (a wright/carpenter, a sailor, a smith/bronze craftsman, a healer, a champion, a harpist, a poet/historian, a sorcerer, cupbearer) would agree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
thanson02
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: thanson02
Class: Monk
Race: Human

PostSubject: Re: Lack of two weapon fighting in 4E   Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:46 pm

Garthanos wrote:
Among other things I want to design more and use more GMT/Boons/Blessings. They can feel more naturalistic in how they are learned. (imagine almost all advancement encapsulated that way?)

I was thinking that GMT might be a nice alternative to the standard retraining rule when you level up.  The rule would be exactly the same as it is now for retraining, but you have to train with a grandmaster for 8 hours and you can only do it once per level.  Add a bit of story flavor that way.  Smile

Garthanos wrote:
Personally I am thinking improved consistency might not hurt anything.

Agreed.  Makes it easier to work with too.

Garthanos wrote:
The rangers at-wills are rather caught up in their role but items (and there analog) are generally speaking open to all. Also the rangers twin strike is over powered due in part to scaling too well from stacking of static bonuses - the irrationality of using two large weapons from the ranger is probably not even the problem.

Well with GMT, the enhancement bonuses are voided, so you don't have to worry about stacking too much.  But I think I would have to see it in action to get a better feel for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Lack of two weapon fighting in 4E
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4ENCLAVE :: 4th Edition :: 4e General Discussion-
Jump to: