4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
frothsof
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

PostSubject: Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2   Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:26 am

If anybody wants to contribute art or any articles, adventures, rejected Dungeon/Dragon submissions, etc, for 4e Forever 2, I am going to take the last submissions no later than April 30th. Help keep 4e support alive! Pm me!

Chris24601
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2   Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:33 pm

Wow, I was scrambling to get stuff done thinking the deadline was March 30th (i.e. in 2 days), but I just realized I've got a month yet. That'll definitely help me flesh out my piece or maybe even do a second one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

PostSubject: Re: Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2   Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:50 pm

Chris24601 wrote:
Wow, I was scrambling to get stuff done thinking the deadline was March 30th (i.e. in 2 days), but I just realized I've got a month yet. That'll definitely help me flesh out my piece or maybe even do a second one.

Care to hint on the subject?

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” - Lazarus Long via Robert Heinlein.

One suspects Lugh Long-hand Samildánach (a wright/carpenter, a sailor, a smith/bronze craftsman, a healer, a champion, a harpist, a poet/historian, a sorcerer, cupbearer) would agree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
Chris24601
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2   Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:39 pm

Garthanos wrote:
Care to hint on the subject?
The article I'm finishing up is called "K.I.S.S. (Keep it Simple, Slayer!): New Options for E-Martial Classes." The core idea grew out of several of my home games where we wanted more options for our secondary characters at a small table (we use E-style classes instead of Companion Characters). Some specific concepts include; The Skirmisher Knight, Knight of the Lance, Sling Hunter, Archery Slayer, War Skald, Sneaky Scout and Brutal Thief and a few goodies to round out a pure martial build for the Executioner.

If I get that one wrapped up speedily enough I'll begin on my second piece which I'm tentatively calling "Simply Arcane". I'll let you guess what it'll be about. ;D

After that I've got ideas for a "Simply Divine" follow-up and then maybe finishing out some of the things the E-classes never finished out (druid seasons, cavalier virtues, mage schools), but those almost certainly wouldn't be ready until the 3rd issue or later.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2   Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:08 pm

Chris24601 wrote:
and then maybe finishing out some of the things the E-classes never finished out (druid seasons, cavalier virtues, mage schools), but those almost certainly wouldn't be ready until the 3rd issue or later.
intriguing

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” - Lazarus Long via Robert Heinlein.

One suspects Lugh Long-hand Samildánach (a wright/carpenter, a sailor, a smith/bronze craftsman, a healer, a champion, a harpist, a poet/historian, a sorcerer, cupbearer) would agree.
Back to top Go down
frothsof
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2   Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:56 pm

Garth I would still love some artwork. If you want me to try and use stuff you have already done please pm me links etc, otherwise let me know if you are interested and I can give you some topics.

If anyone else wants to help with art, however crude, let me know!

cyvaris
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2   Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:33 pm

Maybe I'll submit that Sorcerer King Warlock Paragon Path I made....

Or a small minor house rule I use in my game.

Sigh, if only teaching didn't devour so much time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris24601
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2   Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:29 am

Looks like WILL be getting to the 'Hedge Mage' build after all. I've got the mechanics sorted out and just need to come up with a good name for the alternate class feature that replaces the daily attack powers and then type it out.

I've also got an 'Unearthed Arcana' concept to throw out there involving speeding up defender punishment (one of the main off-turn actions you can't remove easily) and melee basic/opportunity attacks by making them run like the one defender class who's defender punishment hasn't slowed down our combats; the Paladin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2   Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:15 am

Hedge mage sounds interesting hmmm I wouldnt mind doing a bit of new art if I can get inspired... what kind of visuals would you associate with the concept (I almost get the earthy Radighast from LOTR but he's also kind of druidic ) - I tend to think of everyday witchery for hedge magic like placating brownies and creating luck/love charms and herbal concoctions and talking to spirits few others can see and so on.

Back to top Go down
Chris24601
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2   Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:34 pm

The Hedge Mage build conceptually is a character with a knack for magic, but who lacks the formal education of a wizard or mage, but has puzzled out some degree of spellcasting using his native intelligence and intuition. Maybe he came from the countryside and was the apprentice of a previous hedge mage or maybe he used to be a thief who 'acquired' a wizard's spellbook and worked out how to cast some of the simpler spells from it and has been practicing and experimenting with how magic works ever since.

The key design element for them is that they aren't born to magic like a sorcerer, nor do they take a shortcut to power like a warlock and while they're bright (brilliant even) they do not have the benefits of a wizard's formal education... they're more of an 'everyman' hero who learns magic through the school of hard knocks and, as such, is probably looked down upon by more formal wizard societies.

Mechanically, the Hedge Mage is a specific build of the Mage (because its easier to do that than build a new class out of whole cloth) that replaces the spellbook, encounter and daily attack spells for a repeated-use signature spell (selected from one of your two spell schools' encounter powers), a couple of extra at-will attack spells and cantrips as they level up, and a selection of at-will minor action control spells (ex. Grasping Force is a Range 10 effect that deals Wisdom modifier force damage and slows the target until the end of your next turn). At first level you only have one such spell and can use it only a on a single target, but as you level-up you'll get additional selections and be able to effect additional targets. The net result is intended to be an Elementalist-style simple arcane controller.

The concept for the at-will minor action spells actually originated from the old 'Wizard's Fury' 1st level daily power that let a wizard use 'magic missile' as a minor action 1/round until the end of an encounter and the idea that maybe something like that improved a bit as you leveled for each of the mage schools would be a good replacement for daily attack spells... I added additional options from there until Enchantment, Evocation and Illusion (the three schools covered for the Hedge Mage build) each had three choices for their minor action control spells.

While I HAD considered doing an 'Elemental Escalation'-style attack in place of the encounter spells, the at-wills lack any of the stronger control effects that wouldn't fit if simply added at random when an at-will spell was used. Likewise, the wizard has such an embarrassment of riches in terms of interesting and thematic at-will and encounter spells that it would a crime to not make use of the work that's already been done, especially when the concept is a mage who's puzzled out his magic on his own. Such a concept screams for each hedge mage to have their own flavorful spells rather than each one having the exact same few spells.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris24601
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2   Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:15 pm

Slight change of plans for the hedge mage. Apparently the 'embarassment of riches' for encounter choices wasn't so much. After actually looking at the power choices available by school (only evocation gets more than two per level) and the fact that some of the schools don't even get a choice that ranks above purple in the charops guides for several levels has forced me to conclude that some type of 'arcane boost' repeatible encounter power with modifiers based on schools chosen would actually be a better way to go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Generic Fighter
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2   Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:24 am

Am thinking about finishing up an article about the Elementals I've created but am not sure which to do first. Water, Earth, Fire and Air elementals each in Small, Medium, Large and Huge sizes. And each size and Type in Heroic, Paragon and Epic level versions, so they can be used in nearly any Campaign! Each of the size and type combos has a different feel and ability set. For Example, with the Water Elementals, the Small is a Lurker, Medium a Soldier, Large a Skirmisher and the Huge one is a Brute.

So, I'm asking the Community, which do you want to see first?

Fire, Water, Earth or Air?

The Fire Elementals were the easiest to make but have some cool ideas in them. The Water Elementals were the first I created and they have evolved a ton since their first versions! The Earth Elementals still do not have a Large one that works but have a the single most Shocking Ability among them and I really want to show that one off. The Air Elementals Took FOREVER to nail down their concepts but came out the most interesting and varied of the lot.

Also, I'm thinking of putting some, mostly Consumable, Magic Items in the article that can "Summon" certain of them, so Players can make use of them too! Summoning Creatures was one of the more interesting things you could do in earlier Editions that hasn't been added effectively to 4E. I would like to change that a bit.

GF

WARNING! I have a Sense of Humor and am NOT afraid to use it!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://genericfighter.blogspot.com/
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2   Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:34 am

Generic Fighter wrote:
Am thinking about finishing up an article about the Elementals I've created but am not sure which to do first. Water, Earth, Fire and Air elementals each in Small, Medium, Large and Huge sizes. And each size and Type in Heroic, Paragon and Epic level versions, so they can be used in nearly any Campaign! Each of the size and type combos has a different feel and ability set. For Example, with the Water Elementals, the Small is a Lurker, Medium a Soldier, Large a Skirmisher and the Huge one is a Brute.

So, I'm asking the Community, which do you want to see first?

Fire, Water, Earth or Air?

The Fire Elementals were the easiest to make but have some cool ideas in them. The Water Elementals were the first I created and they have evolved a ton since their first versions! The Earth Elementals still do not have a Large one that works but have a the single most Shocking Ability among them and I really want to show that one off. The Air Elementals Took FOREVER to nail down their concepts but came out the most interesting and varied of the lot.

Also, I'm thinking of putting some, mostly Consumable, Magic Items in the article that can "Summon" certain of them, so Players can make use of them too! Summoning Creatures was one of the more interesting things you could do in earlier Editions that hasn't been added effectively to 4E. I would like to change that a bit.

GF

I think summoning is so completely rituals... and my players like rituals adding in summonables would be easy, though I suppose getting the balance so they dont become too dominant could be tricky. I dont use generic ritual components so making summoning greater Water Elementals Straaaasha require a rare gem means a DM can regulate the availability of that component.

Yes I am fond of Water Elementals but if your Air Elementals have lots of variations in them that makes me curious.

Back to top Go down
Chris24601
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2   Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:02 am

Rather than seperate by element, I'd suggest separating by tier. The setting Froth has associated with his e-zine is explicitly high level so starting with the paragon or even epic tier elementals would be right in line with that.

That, said it sounds like you've got most of things designed already so why limit yourself to just one type? Especially since the release schedule for 4e Forever is more like 150 pages twice a year with 30+ page articles.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
frothsof
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2   Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:34 am

Hey guys, just to update you a bit, my goal going into the zine was to try and focus only on high level play and build a shared world, etc but what I found was that submissons hadnt really been written with that in mind. Rather than try to have people rewrite things to fit those goals, I have decided to just go with the flow and let people submit what they want. Material I write for the zine will still fit in with my houserules, setting, etc but it isnt a requirement. That said, Id love material that fits the world, and I love high level stuff, its just that those arent requirements at all. Im just happy to get submissions.

This should be a LARGE issue; two entire classes, new races, all kinds of variants. If you have been crunch starved over the last year or so, prepare to be fed!

Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

PostSubject: Re: Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2   Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:36 am

I could do with some new Unearthed Arcana style rule-stuff (That was the whole reason I ever subscribed to DDi). Can't wait! Could you possibly give us a small hint at these classes and possible variant rules?

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear.” - H. P. Lovecraft

Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
View user profile
frothsof
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2   Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:59 am

One of the classes has floated around some forums for a while but hasnt been published. Its the elusive martial controller and its called the Soulknife. The other is a dex based defender, a Rogue subclass. Both look awesome. Theres some really well written races, an Ophidian race and one on playing as an Orc. Honestly yalls ideas sound awesome too, cant wait to see what Chris does with the ranged slayer, etc. Theres several other articles but i will wait to preview more when its closer to release.

thanson02
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: thanson02
Class: Monk
Race: Human

PostSubject: Re: Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2   Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:15 am

I put together a booklet called "Fundementals of 4E Magic" that my players love. Just added some house rules on how cursed items are accedentaly made by good wizards too. Not sure if that is the type of stuff your looking for.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
frothsof
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2   Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:55 am

Sounds cool to me, put it together and pm me

thanson02
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: thanson02
Class: Monk
Race: Human

PostSubject: Re: Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2   Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:39 am

What reqirements you looking for? (Max words, pictures vs. No pictures, ect)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
frothsof
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2   Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:02 am

No real requirements. If u are able to add pics, by all means do so. Getting artwork has been the biggest obstacle.

Chris24601
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2   Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:09 am

I'll see what I can dig up artwork wise... I'm a long-time user of Poser and have Poser files for just about every PC in every campaign I've been in over the last decade or so.

Format-wise I presume Word .docx is okay or would you prefer a PDF?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
frothsof
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2   Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:44 am

A Word document is perfect

Generic Fighter
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2   Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:12 am

Progress is going slow but steady for the Elementals Article. I'm getting close to a final version of the Large Earth Elemental and have edited all of the Water Elementals for spelling errors and such. Have done the same with the pre-existing Earth Elementals, too. Next is the Fire Elementals. And I've started on the Article's Text, too. I'm getting ready to start the intro and have a good start to the Water Elemental's section as well. I'm thinking I'm going to aim for the "All Types from a Tier" at the moment. Though, I'm going with just Water or Earth if I get swamped and do not have time for everything. Also, I'm thinking I'll go with Heroic Tier Versions if I do the "All Types from a Tier" option and release the Paragon and Epic versions on my Blog or something, maybe.

Also, I have a Question for Frost and the ones sending Articles. I am on a limited Budget at the moment. I need a good Document Program that is Free or Cheap and Easy to learn to use.(or at least has good How-To Videos on YouTube or similar) What would you Recommend?

GF

WARNING! I have a Sense of Humor and am NOT afraid to use it!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://genericfighter.blogspot.com/
Chris24601
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2   Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:59 am

Open Office. It does pretty much everything word/excel/etc. does but doesn't cost a dime.

ETA: Thought I'd give a little preview of a couple of the powers coming in my article.

The first is a martial replacement for the Executioner's Shadow Coffin;

Stash the Body (Assassin Utility 17)
You know all the ways to stash a body you need to stay hidden long enough for you to make a clean escape.
Encounter * Martial
Standard Action Melee touch

Requirement: This power cannot be used in combat.
Target: one creature’s corpse.
Effect: Until the end of your next extended rest, the target cannot be located by any creature that did not have line of sight to it when this power was used.
Special: If you select this power as an Executioner, it replaces the Shadow Coffin power gained at 17th level.

The second is one of the Hedge Mage encounter attacks (there's one for each school of magic that currently exists for the mage, including transmutation);

Enchanter’s Strike (Wizard Utility)
You weave elements from the school of enchantment into a spell to increase its effect.
Encounter * Arcane, Enchantment, Implement
Standard Action Varies
Effect:
Use one of your arcane at-will attack powers and it gains the enchantment keyword. Until the start of your next turn any target hit or affected by this attack are subject to the following effect of your choice:
• The target uses a free action to make a melee basic attack against a creature of your choice.
• The target slides up to its speed.
• The target is immobilized until the end of your next turn.
Level 17: You can choose to dominate one target until the end of your next turn instead of one of the above effects.
Level 23: You can choose to apply two of the initial effects to targets hit or affected by the attack.
Special: At level 3, you can use this power twice per encounter, but only once per turn.
Level 13: You can use this power three times per encounter, but only once per turn.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2   

Back to top Go down

Last Call for 4e Forever Issue 2
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4ENCLAVE :: 4th Edition :: 4e General Discussion-
Jump to: