4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

What I love about 4e

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Chris24601
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: What I love about 4e   Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:01 pm

I believe the proper term for a 5-foot pole is 'quarterstaff' (presuming your height is about 5 feet).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skwyd42
Paragon Adventurer
Paragon Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: Alain Smith IV
Class: Vampire
Race: Half-Elf

PostSubject: Re: What I love about 4e   Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:34 pm

Ah yes, but a quarterstaff is a weapon.

The old 10 foot pole in the PHB was equipment, not a weapon. It was used to prod and poke things, and to scrape the bottom of pools of unknown liquid, and to reach switches and levers in various places, and to somehow (inexplicable to anyone, especially the DM) still be able to be carried by a 5 to 6 foot tall character through the narrow, winding, twisty, and cramped dungeons being explored!

So I'm calling "shenanigans" on that picture due to the ambiguity of what 5th edition is actually carrying!

Very Happy

Chris24601
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: What I love about 4e   Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:54 pm

Maybe it used to be a 10 foot pole, but after the first dozen or so acid, fire and guillotine traps she's only got 5 feet of it left?  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skwyd42
Paragon Adventurer
Paragon Adventurer

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What I love about 4e   Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:11 pm

Hmmm, good point. After 40 years and 5 major edition revisions, that 10 foot pole would be showing some serious signs of wear and tear...

Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

PostSubject: Re: What I love about 4e   Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:41 am

Only a 10 foot pole will properly evoke the prodding the mine field fragility of the early era. Lady 4e would never use such a thing of course.

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” - Lazarus Long via Robert Heinlein.

One suspects Lugh Long-hand Samildánach (a wright/carpenter, a sailor, a smith/bronze craftsman, a healer, a champion, a harpist, a poet/historian, a sorcerer, cupbearer) would agree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
Durriken
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: Durriken
Class: Disestablishmentarian
Race: Green dragon

PostSubject: Re: What I love about 4e   Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:54 am

Skwyd, rules as written both BECMI and AD&D, the ten foot pole had a cubic volume that was less then the cubic volume capacity of a backpack, even when loaded with iron rations, torches, extra sacks, tinderbox, rope, hammer, spikes... (the adventurer's kit is such a time saver). Obviously, she is carrying the ten foot pole in her backpack. Duh.

At least that's the way we "exploited" the rules when I was 12.  Laughing 

And yeah, the "Drow of the editions" kinda fits really well.

TjD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skwyd42
Paragon Adventurer
Paragon Adventurer

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What I love about 4e   Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:15 am

Oh, we exploited that stuff as well. One of my friends had a character sheet with a list of what he was carrying that covered the entire back side of his sheet. And that was when we were 19! I'm sure the abuses of the rules when I started at 11 years old were much worse!

I always hated the Adventurer's Pack in 4E. But only because whenever someone took that, they would always have to refer back to the PHB to see what was actually in that pack because none of us would remember. I would tell the players that bought the Pack to just list on their character sheet what was in that pack so they didn't have to waste time looking it up!

>Smile

Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

PostSubject: Re: What I love about 4e   Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:02 am

Not sure if this has been said already, but, another reason that I love 4e is that this is the only edition of D&D that has some truly enjoyable combat.

I hate the shallow combat of previous editions. 4e not only has tactical depth in combat, but elegance too. Sure the other editions can have depth but it's not baked into the system, nearly as enjoyable, and often times bogs the game down. A well designed 4e encounter just feels great to play through as long as the players keep combat flowing.

I've really been 'jonesing' to play 4e here lately. Everyone in my town has jumped on the 5e bandwagon. Which I enjoy 5e, but I can't help but want to play 4e. Though I've got a friend who was considering starting a 1st level 4e game. Smile

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear.” - H. P. Lovecraft

Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skwyd42
Paragon Adventurer
Paragon Adventurer

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What I love about 4e   Mon May 04, 2015 2:10 pm

I have 6 sessions left (I think it is 6) in my long-running 4E campaign. It was started almost 4 years ago and will be finished this July. I'm a little sad to see these characters and this story go, but it has been fun and awesome.

I have a new player coming on board for my next campaign (which will be shorter than 4 years long) and a long-standing player exiting (for personal reasons unrelated to gaming). And 1 player is "in limbo" as to whether they will be continuing as their school/work/family schedule will be changing up over the summer.

4E has continually offered me and my group the kind of gaming we all love and no one in my group has ever said that they would prefer to be playing any other edition. I'm glad that I've got a group of like-minded people that want to play my favourite edition of D&D!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What I love about 4e   

Back to top Go down

What I love about 4e
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4ENCLAVE :: 4th Edition :: 4e General Discussion-
Jump to: