4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Making .part files

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cyvaris
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

PostSubject: Making .part files   Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:49 pm

Title is sort of self explanatory. I've not messed with Cbloader in a while and was just about to write some new powers when....I tried and discovered I completely forgot how to make .part files. Searching the internet is not helping as the cbloader appears to have vanished entirely. I know it involves xml files, but past that I'm having issues.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris24601
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Making .part files   Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:05 pm

I've found the easiest way to refresh my memory on how to build something in cbloader is to open up one of the existing part files in either notepad or wordpad to see how what you're trying to build is constructed. In terms of saving them... the part files are saved as ASCII plain text documents with a .part extension instead of .txt.

In terms of making powers it helps a lot to have your own ID code for the elements you create so they don't accidentally overwrite anything. I preface all of mine with 'CDJ_' for example.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cyvaris
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Making .part files   Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:14 pm

Yeah, my only issue at the moment is making them into part files. My computer...leaves them as XML just named "newfeat.part". Very annoying.

Also, seems the old CBLoader wiki is dead...might be a good idea for someone to write up a simple guide to making some new stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris24601
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Making .part files   Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:27 am

If you use notepad on Windows and select All Files instead of .txt it should save it as a plaintext .part (so long as you give it the .part extension when saving it).

That said, if its really causing problems, grab one of the existing parts, open it in Notepad (not Wordpad or Word), keep the header and footer and then do a 'Save As' to change its name while keeping the .part extension.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DM Jon
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Making .part files   Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:53 pm

I always intended to compile the information on the CBLoader Wiki but of course I never got around to it...

However, I discovered WayBack Machine this weekend (http://archive.org/web/) and found a number of backups of the site prior to it going dead:

http://web.archive.org/web/20121010234627/http://cbloadercontentwiki.wikispaces.com/

Hopefully you can make some use of this.  I did.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any of the Radio Free Hommlet episodes I've been searching for...

Also, I've found editing / creating *.part files is very easy with Notepad++

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

cyvaris wrote:
Yeah, my only issue at the moment is making them into part files. My computer...leaves them as XML just named "newfeat.part". Very annoying.

Also, seems the old CBLoader wiki is dead...might be a good idea for someone to write up a simple guide to making some new stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

PostSubject: Re: Making .part files   Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:39 pm

notepad ++ is a wonderful tool.

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” - Lazarus Long via Robert Heinlein.

One suspects Lugh Long-hand Samildánach (a wright/carpenter, a sailor, a smith/bronze craftsman, a healer, a champion, a harpist, a poet/historian, a sorcerer, cupbearer) would agree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
cyvaris
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Making .part files   Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:07 pm

DM Jon you just predicted exactly what I needed. My group start a sci-fi game using 4e rules and I wanted to write some new "weapons" for lasers and such. Cracked open old part files, but couldn't find any  exact coding to make a weapon.

Aaaaaaand it has almost nothing on how to make weapons. Sigh.

Also, any chance anyone still has the "Pact Blade Manifestation Feat" that was made for the CBloader hanging about? I think I might have it on a thumb drive at work, but I can't remember.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Making .part files   

Back to top Go down

Making .part files
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4ENCLAVE :: 4th Edition :: 4e General Discussion-
Jump to: