4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Narrative Challenge Uses?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
thanson02
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: thanson02
Class: Monk
Race: Human

PostSubject: Narrative Challenge Uses?   Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:18 pm

I was going through the Unearthed Arcana articles and I was looking into Narrative Challenges for downtime activities and I was wondering if anyone has used them. What was your take on them? Have you come up with your own or made alterations in your homebrews?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Verbannon
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Narrative Challenge Uses?   Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:49 pm

I haven't, look interesting though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thanson02
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Narrative Challenge Uses?   Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:41 pm

Verbannon wrote:
I haven't, look interesting though.

Yea. I like the focus on what you are getting (Achievements) and it helps clarify the whole crafting things situation. I have used one or two of them so far and they seem to work alright. Depending on the situation you are using them for, they seem to go hand-in-hand with Skill Challenges. Maybe doing a hybrid of the two to lay out the scenario your working on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Verbannon
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Narrative Challenge Uses?   Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:37 am

My players like doing stuff with followers which this might be good for.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
windywinter
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Narrative Challenge Uses?   Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:42 am

Could you post link to those articles? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: Alain Smith IV
Class: Vampire
Race: Half-Elf

PostSubject: Re: Narrative Challenge Uses?   Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:29 pm

Yeah, this is the first I've heard of them. Well, perhaps I read about them before and have since forgotten them. Can you post a link?

thanson02
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Narrative Challenge Uses?   Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:50 pm

I will have to share it from my Google Drive when I get home. The online links for 4E seem to be disappearing fast. But it was the Unearthed Arcana article titled Achievements.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
windywinter
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Narrative Challenge Uses?   Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:22 pm

You are right - there is such article on page 20. thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thanson02
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Narrative Challenge Uses?   Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:13 am

Here is the link to my Unearthed Arcana PDF articles:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0By1JGdlPR6ZAc3czNzJjUnN3U3c&usp=sharing

It is the article called "UA - Achievements"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thanson02
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Narrative Challenge Uses?   Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:24 am

windywinter wrote:
You are right - there is such article on page 20. thanks!

Yup.  I have been going through the Dragon and Dungeon PDFs and Living Forgotten Realms Adventures to flush out my games and I found the mechanics in this article interesting.  Not as basic as the downtime days in 5E, but my players enjoy the role play aspect of the activities.  I was even able to use one of the Narrative Challenges (NC) to set up a complete character rework from the ground up, which he wanted to do it anyways.  I used the NC to explain how it happened in the story.

So far, my player group has been loving what I have been doing.  We are even playing a game this Saturday that has a Halloween theme.  "Werewolves!"

I just need to figure out how I want to do "Social Boons" to give characters bonuses in exploration and social interactions.  Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
windywinter
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Narrative Challenge Uses?   Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:49 am

Sometime ago I thought to introduce Relation between 2 entities in game world. Each relation would have value (like skills). For each value there would be some things to gain always, always with relation reduction or streching that but required roll on relation value. For example:
- my father is lord - relation 15 -> can always get shelter, food etc -> can ask for money but it would cost -5 to relation -> can ask for favor, bigger money, but will require to roll on something
- librarian - relation 10 -> can always ask with priority for book or information -> can take out book from librtary at cost -5/-10 -> can ask for after hour search for some crazy information but will require roll

never actually finished that, but idea was that between session time allowed to increase or use or create new relationships. Of course durign the session you could use and change relations as well.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
thanson02
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Narrative Challenge Uses?   Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:50 am

windywinter wrote:
Sometime ago I thought to introduce Relation between 2 entities in game world. Each relation would have value (like skills). For each value there would be some things to gain always, always with relation reduction or streching that but required roll on relation value. For example:
- my father is lord - relation 15 -> can always get shelter, food etc -> can ask for money but it would cost -5 to relation -> can ask for favor, bigger money, but will require to roll on something
- librarian - relation 10 -> can always ask with priority for book or information -> can take out book from librtary at cost -5/-10 -> can ask for after hour search for some crazy information but will require roll

never actually finished that, but idea was that between session time allowed to increase or use or create new relationships. Of course durign the session you could use and change relations as well.

That is along the same lines that I am thinking. Right now I am telling my players that they have "points of influence" with certain groups and where they get it or not depends on how they complete adventures. If they complete an adventure and help the town, they are now local heroes and they get a social boon (+2 to diplomacy, bluff checks for social interactions, +2 to streetwise for finding the best deals in town on lodging and gear, ect)

trying to figure out how it looks and how it would function. I am looking at the Boon systems in DMG2 as the base structure of it. I am also looking into the Living Forgotten Realms adventures since they are made for 4E play for ideas.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Narrative Challenge Uses?   

Back to top Go down

Narrative Challenge Uses?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4ENCLAVE :: 4th Edition :: 4e General Discussion-
Jump to: