4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Skill Challenges

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

PostSubject: Re: Skill Challenges   Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:40 am

AbdulAlhazred wrote:

I don't think you HAVE to say "its a skill challenge now" and I don't bother, usually, but there are a few cases where it helps to be explicit, like if its a chase or a race or something, then you can explain the PCs options (IE make a DEX check to whip the other guy's horse and try to make it veer off the racetrack).
Nods the structuralization seems to come in the most handy when the winning/losing process has a good visible parallel for the characters...

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” - Lazarus Long via Robert Heinlein.

One suspects Lugh Long-hand Samildánach (a wright/carpenter, a sailor, a smith/bronze craftsman, a healer, a champion, a harpist, a poet/historian, a sorcerer, cupbearer) would agree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
AbdulAlhazred
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Skill Challenges   Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:12 am

Right, although I'm leery of any SC where you cannot frame the scene tight enough to sort out what the stakes and motivations are, such that it should be possible to cast it as a mini-game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: Alain Smith IV
Class: Vampire
Race: Half-Elf

PostSubject: Re: Skill Challenges   Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:16 pm

The only problem I have with "announcing" that the SC has started is that it puts the players essentially into "combat mode". They stop with the "role-playing" and start with the "gaming". This may be something specific to my group, but if I specifically say they are in a SC, they lose all traces of narration and go into "numbers and dice" mode.

Fox Lee
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: Fox Lee
Class: Social Justice Barbarian
Race: Stack of Trolls

PostSubject: Re: Skill Challenges   Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:48 pm

I run using adventure paths as a base, so there are certain... expected skill challenges. However, players have their own ideas about how to approach a problem, and in my experience that usually turns out better since it doesn't feel like anybody's being forced into particular tactics. Thus, I wind up using the "script" for a skill challenge as a suggestion, for when nobody has any good ideas of their own.

Sure, that means they can rely only on their best skills as long as they can think of a good way to apply those skills - but that works just fine for me. Player disengagement is the most dangerous beast in our group (we sidetrack easily) so if they're actively applying their ideas and weaving what they want to do into the story, that's the win for me.

GameBriefcase - homebrew, variants, fixes, hacks, and further geekery
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.invincible.ink
AbdulAlhazred
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Skill Challenges   Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:28 pm

skwyd42 wrote:
The only problem I have with "announcing" that the SC has started is that it puts the players essentially into "combat mode". They stop with the "role-playing" and start with the "gaming". This may be something specific to my group, but if I specifically say they are in a SC, they lose all traces of narration and go into "numbers and dice" mode.

Its probably not unique. I will say that for my group(s) there's nothing BUT 'game mode' in a sense. That is they RP, but they're always playing, there's not really a huge distinction. We roll a lot of dice and keep things moving, so there's almost always some level of conflict going on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skill Challenges   

Back to top Go down

Skill Challenges
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4ENCLAVE :: 4th Edition :: 4e General Discussion-
Jump to: