4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Wow ... Wizards forumns... poof

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

PostSubject: Wow ... Wizards forumns... poof   Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:26 pm

Thank you for your interest in the Wizards Forums.

Social media has changed significantly over the last ten years, and discussions about games aren't exclusive to company-hosted forums. The majority of community conversation takes place on third-party websites (such as Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, and many other fantastic community-run websites), and it is up to us to evolve alongside our players. All information posted to the Community Forums as of November 5 has been deleted.

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” - Lazarus Long via Robert Heinlein.

One suspects Lugh Long-hand Samildánach (a wright/carpenter, a sailor, a smith/bronze craftsman, a healer, a champion, a harpist, a poet/historian, a sorcerer, cupbearer) would agree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
Durriken
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: Durriken
Class: Disestablishmentarian
Race: Green dragon

PostSubject: Re: Wow ... Wizards forumns... poof   Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:26 am

I haven't even looked there in about a month. They announced it for the end of Oct several month ago. Things kinda went dead, especially on the 4E forums really quickly after that.

TjD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skwyd42
Paragon Adventurer
Paragon Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: Alain Smith IV
Class: Vampire
Race: Half-Elf

PostSubject: Re: Wow ... Wizards forumns... poof   Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:07 am

I had a friend help me with the character optimization threads. I think we've got them captured, but I'm not sure yet. I know that we probably can't contact a lot of the original authors to get permission to post them here, so I'm not sure if it would be okay to share them. But I'm going to be looking at what we've captured and see if those were saved from the "Great WotC purge of 2015"!

Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

PostSubject: Re: Wow ... Wizards forumns... poof   Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:39 pm

I could restart up The creative character build collection - we created lots of classic archetypes and heros - it was a flavor builds not specifically about optimizing, but very fun and showed how truly versatile the 4e system was.

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” - Lazarus Long via Robert Heinlein.

One suspects Lugh Long-hand Samildánach (a wright/carpenter, a sailor, a smith/bronze craftsman, a healer, a champion, a harpist, a poet/historian, a sorcerer, cupbearer) would agree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
skwyd42
Paragon Adventurer
Paragon Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: Alain Smith IV
Class: Vampire
Race: Half-Elf

PostSubject: Re: Wow ... Wizards forumns... poof   Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:00 pm

Garthanos wrote:
I could restart up  The creative character build collection - we created lots of classic archetypes and heros - it was a flavor builds not specifically about optimizing, but very fun and showed how truly versatile the 4e system was.

I would LOVE this. One of my favourite things to do is to build character concepts that play around with the system and show some of the more unconventional applications of various class/race combos.

I'm really trying to get my characters to think more in terms of a character concept before they just build a character for the campaign. Right now, they all think "Oh, I want to play a human/sorcerer next time." And I'll ask why. They typically say, "Oh, because the sorcerer looks cool." or "Well, I think that if I take feat X and power Y it will be pretty awesome."

And while that is a perfectly valid reason, they usually come up with their idea to the exclusion of all other possibilities. And then, at Session 0, I've got 3 out of 5 players wanting to run some sort of Striker, 1 player wanting to play a Controller, and 1 player "undecided" but they "definitely don't want to be the leader again".

So I'm trying to get them to think more about the underlying concept of their character. And I'm trying to do this via themes and backgrounds. If a player says, "I want to be someone who is awesome with daggers. Like throwing them with incredible accuracy" I can suggest all kinds of roles and methods to do that. Or if they want to be a "Cold and calculating killer who is looking to redeem their past" I can help them go nuts with that concept.

I think having a forum to discuss "unconventional" character builds would be awesome. And I think I even have two I could contribute to the forum from the start.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wow ... Wizards forumns... poof   

Back to top Go down

Wow ... Wizards forumns... poof
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4ENCLAVE :: 4th Edition :: 4e General Discussion-
Jump to: