4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Is it official? Is 4e gone?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

PostSubject: Is it official? Is 4e gone?   Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:55 pm

I haven't really taken notice but I keep hearing that 4e stuff has stopped being printed is this true? Is 4e really gone in that sense? I know Dungeon & Dragon magazine still kinda support 4e (50/50 on generic and 4e stuff). But other than that it seems like 4e's official support has died. Does anyone know if anything 4e is still in print or when the last product exclusively for 4e was released?

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear.” - H. P. Lovecraft

Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CHIA

PostSubject: Re: Is it official? Is 4e gone?   Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:09 pm

Seems that way.

/Troy McClure
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scrivener of Doom
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Is it official? Is 4e gone?   Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:28 pm

Ed Greenwood believes that Next won't be published until 2015 which means at least another year or so of DDi content, even if it is interwoven with Next stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris24601
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Is it official? Is 4e gone?   Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:45 am

Ed may believe that, and he may be right that Mearls and Co. would need that long to get a finished product, but the Next Playtest is over with the release of the next packet and I doubt Hasbro is going to let them sit on the IP for another year without a product to be sold.

Honestly? With everything that's gone on with the playtest I wouldn't be surprised if we got an October announcement that 5e will be out by this Christmas whether its truly ready or not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scrivener of Doom
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Is it official? Is 4e gone?   Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:22 am

Actually, I don't agree with Ed - I think it will be out for GenCon next year and the 40th anniversary of D&D. I don't think even WotC is dumb enough to let the 40th anniversary slip by without a current edition of D&D being published!

It can't be this Christmas because the printing lead times are somewhere around six months from what I read. That said, Mearls has proven in the past that he's more than happy to see an unfinished product be published so maybe we will see a rushed job by this Christmas....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: Alain Smith IV
Class: Vampire
Race: Half-Elf

PostSubject: Re: Is it official? Is 4e gone?   Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:04 am

My guess is that it will get an official release at GenCon next year. I plan on being there, but not for the release of the newest edition of D&D. I think I'll wear black to mourn the death of 4E. Oh, wait. I wear black anyway...

There hasn't been a published 4E book since 2012, if I recall correctly. And while the Dungeon stuff has been pretty good, I think they are just running through their backlog of submissions.

4E is dead and soon to be gone from WotC. That's why I'm here. Smile

Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

PostSubject: Re: Is it official? Is 4e gone?   Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:55 pm

skwyd42 wrote:
My guess is that it will get an official release at GenCon next year. I plan on being there, but not for the release of the newest edition of D&D. I think I'll wear black to mourn the death of 4E. Oh, wait. I wear black anyway...

There hasn't been a published 4E book since 2012, if I recall correctly. And while the Dungeon stuff has been pretty good, I think they are just running through their backlog of submissions.

4E is dead and soon to be gone from WotC. That's why I'm here. Smile
Wear a black hood or something with white letters and carry a Lilly... to make it obvious.

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” - Lazarus Long via Robert Heinlein.

One suspects Lugh Long-hand Samildánach (a wright/carpenter, a sailor, a smith/bronze craftsman, a healer, a champion, a harpist, a poet/historian, a sorcerer, cupbearer) would agree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

PostSubject: Re: Is it official? Is 4e gone?   Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:05 pm

I wish 4e's death could have been a little more spectacular... With a re-release of the core rules books (PHB 1-3, MM 1-3, and DMG 1&2) with updated errata and monster fixes. Maybe even some designers notes and new cover art (I rather dislike the cover art).

That would've been awesome.

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear.” - H. P. Lovecraft

Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thanson02
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: thanson02
Class: Monk
Race: Human

PostSubject: Re: Is it official? Is 4e gone?   Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:09 pm

It's not just published books.  Here is an announcement from WotC:

Hey all.

This month we want to share some upcoming changes to the DDI tool set and subscription. As we look to the future launch of D&D Next, we are shifting our focus to the development and support of the new rules set, which will impact the Dungeons & Dragons Insider subscription service.

* DDI will remain available to those who still wish to access all the great 4th Edition Magazines and Tools as part of the DDI subscription.
* Starting in March of 2014, the DDI tool set (Character Builder, Adventure Tools and Compendium), will no longer be updated with new 4th Edition game content.
* Existing issues of Dungeon magazine and Dragon magazine will continue to be offered for viewing.

If you have questions about your DDI subscription, please contact customer service.

So after March, all the official material will be out.  If you want to read the tread, here is the link:

http://community.wizards.com/forum/dd-insider/threads/3946201
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skwyd42
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: Alain Smith IV
Class: Vampire
Race: Half-Elf

PostSubject: Re: Is it official? Is 4e gone?   Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:40 pm

Yeah. I'm still looking for a good set of reliable tools to "scrape" the compendium and display it accurately once that happens.

I think the CB is covered in an offline version. But I'd like to see a Monster Builder like the one they have online now...

Scrivener of Doom
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Is it official? Is 4e gone?   Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:22 am

skwyd42 wrote:
Yeah. I'm still looking for a good set of reliable tools to "scrape" the compendium and display it accurately once that happens.

I think the CB is covered in an offline version. But I'd like to see a Monster Builder like the one they have online now...
Me too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Durriken
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: Durriken
Class: Disestablishmentarian
Race: Green dragon

PostSubject: Re: Is it official? Is 4e gone?   Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:06 am

Did anyone else find it funny that they said no more updates after March 2014? I thought they had already stopped updating the tools... There are several months of dragon content that has never hit the online CB.

TjD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cyvaris
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Is it official? Is 4e gone?   Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:53 pm

skwyd42 wrote:

I have the old offline Monster Builder still....I need to figure out a way to distribute it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thanson02
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Is it official? Is 4e gone?   Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:15 am

cyvaris wrote:
skwyd42 wrote:

I have the old offline Monster Builder still....I need to figure out a way to distribute it.
When you do, let us know.  Mine is glitchy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scrivener of Doom
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Is it official? Is 4e gone?   Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:00 am

thanson02 wrote:
When you do, let us know.  Mine is glitchy.
As is mine.

I would rather build monsters by hand than go back to that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

PostSubject: Re: Is it official? Is 4e gone?   Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:26 am

My answer to this threads title is hell no.. its not gone and never be unless we make it so by abandoning it.

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” - Lazarus Long via Robert Heinlein.

One suspects Lugh Long-hand Samildánach (a wright/carpenter, a sailor, a smith/bronze craftsman, a healer, a champion, a harpist, a poet/historian, a sorcerer, cupbearer) would agree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
thanson02
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Is it official? Is 4e gone?   Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:37 pm

Garthanos wrote:
My answer to this threads title is hell no.. its not gone and never be unless we make it so by abandoning it.
Agreed!!  I told some of my players about what is going on with the products and some of them are already compiling a Christmas list for me to get at least the remaining box sets so I can have them all.  We will see how it goes, but I was happy and touched by what they are doing.

(I would put up a crying smile face, But I did not see one.  Moderators???)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Name: Admin
Class: Admin
Race: Immortal Astral Being

PostSubject: Re: Is it official? Is 4e gone?   Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:19 pm

Cry 

Done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://4enclave.roleplaylife.net
cyvaris
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Is it official? Is 4e gone?   Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:04 pm

Yeah, mine is buggy as all hell as well, but it's nice to just have and be able to use.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it official? Is 4e gone?   

Back to top Go down

Is it official? Is 4e gone?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4ENCLAVE :: 4th Edition :: 4e General Discussion-
Jump to: