4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

CBLoader and part files

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Chris24601
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: CBLoader and part files   Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:44 am

Mutipliers aren't too bad if the margIn of success range is relatively constrained and/or larger increments use muliples that are common to count by (ie. by fives, tens, etc). You could even have a quick chart for the results if the number of multipliers any given character deals with is reasonable (say one per weapon or implement).

The more I think on it, the bigger powers (encounters/dailies) would probably work better under such a system if they were made more accurate instead of increasing the multiplier. The increased accuracy would also work to make them more akin to powers with an effect on a miss so that when you burn a resource you're likely to do at least a bit of damage even on a poor roll.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

PostSubject: Re: CBLoader and part files   Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:06 am

Chris24601 wrote:

The more I think on it, the bigger powers (encounters/dailies) would probably work better under such a system if they were made more accurate instead of increasing the multiplier. The increased accuracy would also work to make them more akin to powers with an effect on a miss so that when you burn a resource you're likely to do at least a bit of damage even on a poor roll.
Its mathematically more approachable for most folk that way as well. Though the Divide by 2 - I suppose wouldn't have been necessary in my system I guess I was looking for less swing. As it was It didn't actually feel heroic perhaps too realistic really.

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” - Lazarus Long via Robert Heinlein.

One suspects Lugh Long-hand Samildánach (a wright/carpenter, a sailor, a smith/bronze craftsman, a healer, a champion, a harpist, a poet/historian, a sorcerer, cupbearer) would agree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
misanthrope
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: CBLoader and part files   Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:24 am

Hey, I'm new here and only joined because I found this particular thread. I've been trying to add a class feature using CBLoader but I'm like totally computer illiterate so I can't figure out how to do it. I'm hoping someone can help me out? Hopefully this isn't too bad a thread necro.

Essentially, I'm making a hybrid monk/sorceror character, and for the monk's monastic tradition (and associated flurry of blows) power, only three are listed: stone fist, centered breath and iron soul, but it's missing the ones added in Heroes of the Elemental Chaos, particularly Desert Wind, which is what I want for my character. Can anyone either walk me through making a .part file to add this, or simply send me a .part file that adds the requisite class feature and powers?

Thanks
-Misanthrope
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: CBLoader and part files   Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:29 am

Step one is I figure is find and duplicate the chunk xml for something similar give it its own id.
The code in a part file needs wrapped in

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<D20Rules game-system="D&amp;D4E">

insert rules elements here

</D20Rules>

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” - Lazarus Long via Robert Heinlein.

One suspects Lugh Long-hand Samildánach (a wright/carpenter, a sailor, a smith/bronze craftsman, a healer, a champion, a harpist, a poet/historian, a sorcerer, cupbearer) would agree.
Back to top Go down
misanthrope
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: CBLoader and part files   Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:47 am

Garthanos wrote:
Step one is I figure is find and duplicate the chunk xml for something similar give it its own id.
The code in a part file needs wrapped in

<D20Rules game-system="D&D4E">

insert rules elements here

</D20Rules>
I don't even know how to go about making a .part file. I can toss together some code in notepad, save it as a .xml, but don't know how that becomes a .part file nor how to get cbloader to read it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: CBLoader and part files   Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:04 am

A part file is an xml with the file name ending in .part
There is a folder to stick your custom part files in that causes cbloader to load them.

You might want to check out this...
http://cbloadercontentwiki.wikispaces.com/

Back to top Go down
misanthrope
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: CBLoader and part files   Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:06 am

Garthanos wrote:
A part file is an xml with the file name ending in .part
There is a folder to stick your custom part files in that causes cbloader to load them.

You might want to check out this...
http://cbloadercontentwiki.wikispaces.com/
Hah, I did, but it sounds very opaque to me.

Here's the code I whipped up to try and add desert wind as a class feature for hybrid monks, which didn't work, somehow. Maybe one of you can tell me what I did wrong? I used the hybrid version of centered breath as an example.

<RulesElement name="Desert Wind (Hybrid)" type="Class Feature" internal-id="ID_FMP_CLASS_FEATURE_4396" source="Heroes of the Elemental Chaos" revision-date="10/5/2010 1:47:06 PM">
<Category> ID_FMP_CLASS_FEATURE_4396,1 </Category>
<Flavor> After the fall of Arkhosia, many dragonborn retreated to the deep deserts to contemplate their empire's collapse and find a way to overcome the loss. What began as refugee camps evolved into genuine communities, their members united by a common belief and hope for the future-and in some cases these ideas became something more. The Desert Wind tradition reflects these survivors' triumph over the harshness of a life spent under the desert sun. These warriors learned to ease their discomfort by using the elemental fire within themselves as a shield and a weapon.
Monks of the Desert Wind tradition emulate these predecessors as they rush into battle, spin away from threats, and scorch enemies with strikes bolstered by elemental fire. Like all monks, you need a high Dexterity score to perform your disciplines. manifesting elemental fire requires a strong, confident outlook, so Charisma should be your second-highest ability score. Consider Constitution for your third-best score to increase your durability. </Flavor>
<specific name="Short Description"> You gain the desert wind flurry of blows and resist 5/10/15 fire </specific>
<specific name="Level"> 1 </specific>
<specific name="Powers"> ID_FMP_POWER_16131 </specific>
<specific name="type"> At-Will </specific>
<specific name="Class"> ID_FMP_CLASS_362 </specific>
<specific name="_DisplayPowers"> ID_FMP_POWER_16131 </specific>
<rules>
<statadd name="Mental Crucible" value="+5"/>
<statadd name="Mental Crucible" value="+5" requires="Paragon tier"/>
<statadd name="Mental Crucible" value="+5" requires="epic tier"/>
<statadd name="resist:fire" value="+Mental Crucible" type="Class Feature" zero="true"/>
<grant name="ID_FMP_POWER_16131" type="Power" />
</rules>
If you choose the Desert Wind monastic tradition, you gain the following class features.
Flurry of Blows: You gain the desert wind flurry of blows power.
Mental Crucible: You gain resist 5 fire. The resistance increases to 10 at 11th level and 15 at 21st level. If you already have fire resistance that is equal to or higher than this value, increase it by 2.
</RulesElement>
<RulesElement name="Desert Wind Flurry of Blows" type="Power" internal-id="ID_FMP_POWER_16131" source="Heroes of the Elemental Chaos">
<Category> ID_INTERNAL_CATEGORY_CLASS_POWER </Category>
<Prereqs> Unselectable </Prereqs>
<Flavor> A successful attack ignites your mind's power, causing lambent flames to dance across your body and sear your enemies. </Flavor>
<specific name="Power Usage"> At-Will </specific>
<specific name="Display"> Monk Feature </specific>
<specific name="Keywords"> Elemental, Fire, Psionic </specific>
<specific name="Action Type"> No Action </specific>
<specific name="Attack Type"> Melee 1 </specific>
<specific name="Trigger"> You hit with an attack during your turn. </specific>
<specific name="Target"> One creature
Level 11: One or two creatures
Level 21: Each enemy adjacent to you </specific>
<specific name="Effect"> The target takes 2 + your Charisma modifier fire damage. If the target wasn't targeted by the triggering attack, it also takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls for any attack that includes you as a target until the end of your next turn. You can then shift 1 square. </specific>
<specific name="Special"> You can use this power only once per round. </specific>
<specific name="Level" />
<specific name="Power Type"> Feature </specific>
<specific name="_ParentFeature"> ID_FMP_CLASS_FEATURE_4331 </specific>
You are as a screaming blast of heat that blisters anything in your path. Your strikes release elemental flame that you can hurl against your enemies.
</RulesElement>

</D20Rules>
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: CBLoader and part files   Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:07 pm

It would be nice if it were easy... or actually if the Character Builder had been written to support user content nicely in the first place.

Different OS versions I think load the files from different locations(I seem to recall mine is in a ddi folder in my documents) ... the first time after a change to the file it should show a list of the part files being loaded as it loads them I would first check to see if your part file was being found.

I might look closer at your file (test it) later when Im home.

Back to top Go down
Chris24601
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: CBLoader and part files   Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:44 pm

misanthrope wrote:
Essentially, I'm making a hybrid monk/sorceror character, and for the monk's monastic tradition (and associated flurry of blows) power, only three are listed: stone fist, centered breath and iron soul, but it's missing the ones added in Heroes of the Elemental Chaos, particularly Desert Wind, which is what I want for my character. Can anyone either walk me through making a .part file to add this, or simply send me a .part file that adds the requisite class feature and powers?

Thanks
-Misanthrope
I can probably walk you through it, but even better I've already done this, albeit for the multi-class feat instead of the hybrid. Give me a day or two to dig through my notes and I'll post the entire text you'd need for the part file here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
misanthrope
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: CBLoader and part files   Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:14 pm

Thanks. I appreciate the assistance from both of you guys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thanson02
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: thanson02
Class: Monk
Race: Human

PostSubject: Re: CBLoader and part files   Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:47 pm

I'm using the old Character Builder (and love it over the Silverlight version) but I have no experience with CBLoader. I just downloaded vs. 1.3, are there any guides on how it works or how to use it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
misanthrope
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: CBLoader and part files   Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:41 am

Just gonna give this a little bump and ask if anyone's been able to take a looksie at my code?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: CBLoader and part files   Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:59 am

Well I did verify that even though its loading it isnt having the desired impact... I am thinking you may have to change another area so it knows about or references to your item.
Ie add it to the list of elements of its type.

Back to top Go down
misanthrope
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: CBLoader and part files   Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:01 am

Garthanos wrote:
Well I did verify that even though its loading it isnt having the desired impact... I am thinking you may have to change another area so it knows about or references to your item.
Ie add it to the list of elements of its type.
You're talking to an English major who can barely run a web browser Razz. How might I go about doing that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: CBLoader and part files   Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:27 am

First question did you make up your own ids on the new thing? needs a unique id.

Then I would look at the inspirational materia and see what all references it

Back to top Go down
misanthrope
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: CBLoader and part files   Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:09 pm

Garthanos wrote:
First question did you make up your own ids on the new thing? needs a unique id.

Then I would look at the inspirational materia and see what all references it

I did make up a new ID: I found the highest ID and then added "one". I could've given it a ridiculously high ID like 100000 or something, but I wasn't sure fi that'd cause problems.

Also what do you mean by "inspirational materia"?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: CBLoader and part files   Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:18 pm

I mean
Quote :
I used the hybrid version of centered breath as an example.
Find out the parts of the file which reference the centered breath example's id....

Back to top Go down
misanthrope
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: CBLoader and part files   Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:35 am

Garthanos wrote:
I mean
Quote :
I used the hybrid version of centered breath as an example.
Find out the parts of the file which reference the centered breath example's id....
Ah, sorry, I thought "materia" was some fluff concept because of a similar-named concept in final fantasy. I was all "wait since when did D&D rules include stuff from JRPGs" and then I took a peek at Adventurer's Vault and it's double weapons- but I digress.

How would I find what references it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cyvaris
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: CBLoader and part files   Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:53 am

Dig through the part files to find what reference and ID numbers it uses. It's very tedious work though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
misanthrope
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: CBLoader and part files   Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:08 pm

EDIT: Success! Here's the code that worked for me

<RulesElement name="Desert Wind (Hybrid)" type="Class Feature" internal-id="ID_FMP_CLASS_FEATURE_4396" source="Heroes of the Elemental Chaos" revision-date="10/5/2010 1:47:06 PM">
<Category> ID_FMP_CLASS_FEATURE_2413,1 </Category>
<specific name="Short Description"> You gain the desert wind flurry of blows</specific>
<rules>
<modify name="Desert Wind Flurry of Blows" type="Power" Field="_ExtraKeywords" value="Flurry of Blows" />
<grant name="ID_INTERNAL_COUNTSASFEATURE_DESERT_WIND" type="CountsAsFeature" />
</rules>
After the fall of Arkhosia, many dragonborn retreated to the deep deserts to contemplate their empire's collapse and find a way to overcome the loss. What began as refugee camps evolved into genuine communities, their members united by a common belief and hope for the future-and in some cases these ideas became something more. The Desert Wind tradition reflects these survivors' triumph over the harshness of a life spent under the desert sun. These warriors learned to ease their discomfort by using the elemental fire within themselves as a shield and a weapon.
Flurry of Blows: You gain the Desert Wind flurry of blows power.
</RulesElement>
</D20Rules>
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: CBLoader and part files   Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:00 pm

Cool, and thanks for sharing.

Back to top Go down
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: CBLoader and part files   Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:18 am

I am thinking I will make a part file which removes the tier based scaling factor from the expertise feats.

hmmmm wonder if there is a way to remove the plain expertise feats entirely?

Back to top Go down
Nod_Hero
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: CBLoader and part files   Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:20 pm

misanthrope wrote:
EDIT: Success! Here's the code that worked for me

<D20Rules game-system="D&D4E">
 <Category> ID_FMP_CLASS_FEATURE_2413,1 </Category>
 <specific name="Short Description"> You gain the desert wind flurry of blows</specific>
 <rules>
   <modify name="Desert Wind Flurry of Blows" type="Power" Field="_ExtraKeywords" value="Flurry of Blows" />
   <grant name="ID_INTERNAL_COUNTSASFEATURE_DESERT_WIND" type="CountsAsFeature" />
 </rules>
After the fall of Arkhosia, many dragonborn retreated to the deep deserts to contemplate their empire's collapse and find a way to overcome the loss. What began as refugee camps evolved into genuine communities, their members united by a common belief and hope for the future-and in some cases these ideas became something more. The Desert Wind tradition reflects these survivors' triumph over the harshness of a life spent under the desert sun. These warriors learned to ease their discomfort by using the elemental fire within themselves as a shield and a weapon.
Flurry of Blows: You gain the Desert Wind flurry of blows power.
  </RulesElement>
</D20Rules>

Yes it's a massive Necro but with the wiki being down it's harder and harder to get CBLoader help. I just wanted to say thanks, this helped me out big time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
th3l4st0ne
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: CBLoader and part files   Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:10 am

Agreed, another shameless bump from a guy who made an account just for that. I'm getting into D&D 4e with some friends and the CBLoader'd Builder is a godsend, and having the missing stuff could make it even more amazing.

I'm going to try to mess with the .part files and report back if I get things working properly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: CBLoader and part files   Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:53 am

Welcome th314stone Builder is very useful and getting mine working once again inspires me.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CBLoader and part files   

Back to top Go down

CBLoader and part files
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4ENCLAVE :: 4th Edition :: 4e General Discussion-
Jump to: