4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Favorite D&D Class?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: Felorn Gloryaxe
Class: Fighter
Race: Dwarf

PostSubject: Favorite D&D Class?   Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:45 pm

What is your favorite class? And why is it your favorite class?

I actually have a 3 way tie for favorite class.

1. The Fighter: I love the idea of being a battle hardened warrior who not only uses his overwhelming strength but his finesse as well.

2. The Cleric: Lets see. The cleric is the most self-dependent class in D&D. It can be the bad-assed warrior in the front lines, wielding both a weapon and shield, raining down the fury of their god(dess), while also picking up their allies from brink of death.

3. The Wizard: Wizards are by far the most utilitarian class there is. They carry tomes of forgotten knowledge, complex ceremonies, and powerful spells. They typically have spell for every situation and can get even the most stuck parties back in business.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear.” - H. P. Lovecraft

Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ToeSama
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Favorite D&D Class?   Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:35 pm

Warlord. There was something about the idea of using my party as a weapon that was just plain awesome even from the first time I picked the class up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CHIA

PostSubject: Re: Favorite D&D Class?   Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:53 pm

Wizard. just awesome powers. Close second is Barbarian, because I found it powerful but also genuinely fun to use.

/Troy McClure
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Favorite D&D Class?   Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm

Never actually played a barbarian. Though I've heard rumors that 4e barbarians can be pretty complicated.

Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CHIA

PostSubject: Re: Favorite D&D Class?   Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:58 pm

Felorn Gloryaxe wrote:
Never actually played a barbarian. Though I've heard rumors that 4e barbarians can be pretty complicated.

The one I played wasn't, although that might just reflect on my subpar optimization skills. Razz 

/Troy McClure
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scrivener of Doom
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Favorite D&D Class?   Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:17 am

I've played once in the past 28 or so years - I otherwise DM - and that was a warlord and, yes, warlord is my favourite class.

I think it's just a really clever piece of design that adds mechanics to the old school concept of a party leader.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skwyd42
Paragon Adventurer
Paragon Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: Alain Smith IV
Class: Vampire
Race: Half-Elf

PostSubject: Re: Favorite D&D Class?   Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:50 pm

Since I typically DM my games, I haven't had opportunity to play all of the classes I'd like to play. And on the few occasions that I do get out from behind my screen, I never play optimized characters. I always build characters based upon some silly image in my brain.

The characters I've actually played (and I thought all were cool) have been:

Eladrin Wizard - This guy was very fun. I really loved the controller aspects. Although the ability to have 2 spells "in my book" and having to choose one on a given day was unnecessary for me. I've found that having those options doesn't matter because unless you know what you will face that day there's no way of knowing that one option is better than another. And so I never changed my "memorized spells" ever.

Drow Bard - This was the most effective character that I actually played. The Bard really shines with their versatility in skills and the fact that they can "dabble" in a little bit of everything.

Eladrin Bladesinger - Hands down, this was my favourite character. I modeled his personality after the main character in the Gunslinger novels. He took his blade VERY seriously. I know that the CharOp boards don't have these guys up very high on the list of being effective characters. But he absolutely held his own for levels 1-5 in the group. But overall, I like the concept of this class and I think that if there had been more written for them to increase some options they could have been so much more.

I was invited into an Eberron campaign that never happened (due to a sore lack of effort on the part of the other invited players). I had made a Changeling Avenger and I was really excited to play him. Unfortunately, it never happened.

Durriken
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: Durriken
Class: Disestablishmentarian
Race: Green dragon

PostSubject: Re: Favorite D&D Class?   Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:39 am

Battlemind, without a doubt. I really like the flexibility of the power point mechanic and defender is my favorite role. Also its the only CON primary class. I like that. And flavor-wise, I like the concept of empowering your weapons with the sheer force of your will rather than the strength of your body and psionically marking your foes.

Now, what I really want to know is why the designers decided to screw defenders when it comes to skills? Why does a ranger get 5 trained skills to a fighter's 3? They are certainly not more combat effective than a rogue or bard. The combat balance is great. So while do defenders get the short end of the stick out of combat? New house rule: defenders get and extra trained skill, any skill, not just from their crappy class skill list.

TjD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scrivener of Doom
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Favorite D&D Class?   Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:59 am

I simply love the 4E warlord. It's the only class that actually made me want to play instead of DM for about 25 years. It's my benchmark against which other editions and games are measured: if they can do something like a 4E warlord then I am interested.

(And, yes, that's one of the many reasons I think that Next aka Previous aka Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Third Edition is a giant pile of suck.)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
skwyd42
Paragon Adventurer
Paragon Adventurer

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Favorite D&D Class?   Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:51 pm

I've wanted to play both a Battlemind and a Warlord. But as I'm usually behind the screen it is unlikely I'll get to do that any time soon.

A friend of mine played a Battlemind. He griped about it for 5 levels (it was a short campaign) saying that they couldn't do ANYTHING as good as the Fighter. I told him that he couldn't try to play it like it was a Fighter. He had to think of a strategy that worked with the Battlemind class. He never really got it. So I want to play one just because I think I can do better!

And in one campaign I ran, another friend played a Warlord. He was the quintessential battle leader! No one since has managed to manipulate his allies as well since then. I think I might be able to produce similar results and I'd like to try!

Scrivener of Doom
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Favorite D&D Class?   Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:57 pm

I agree. The battlemind does look interesting.

However, I'll still stay on my side of the DM's screen. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skwyd42
Paragon Adventurer
Paragon Adventurer

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Favorite D&D Class?   Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:01 am

Well, I'd be happy to stay on my side of the screen if the darn players could figure out how to play the game right! hehehehe.

I really enjoy being the DM, but once in a while I like to not know all of the secrets and where the story is going. Plus, I like to pretend to be an actor!

Scrivener of Doom
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Favorite D&D Class?   Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:06 am

If they had a clue they would be DMs and not players. Smile

Yeah, if I could find the right DM I would consider playing... but that would last for one or two sessions and then I would want to run the game again.

Perhaps I am just revealing a certain psychological pathology...? Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Durriken
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: Durriken
Class: Disestablishmentarian
Race: Green dragon

PostSubject: Re: Favorite D&D Class?   Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:35 am

skwyd42 wrote:
A friend of mine played a Battlemind. He griped about it for 5 levels (it was a short campaign) saying that they couldn't do ANYTHING as good as the Fighter. I told him that he couldn't try to play it like it was a Fighter. He had to think of a strategy that worked with the Battlemind class. He never really got it. So I want to play one just because I think I can do better!
Your friend isn't wrong. Fighter is mostly a bit better than a battlemind. My preference is very much based on flavor and mechanics. But yeah the first session I played a battlemind was full of frustration. Then I spent sometime thinking about it, and how it fits the role of defender. I found better ways to team up with allies, used my power points more efficiently, and took advantage of my loads of HP and surges.
But it still sucked that the only skill my character was decent at was endurance. Then I found there were powers that used CHA and I built CHA secondary and had a battlemind with a social skill! (and endurance, and nothing else...). But I had some great abilities to push and pull enemies, even at will.
TjD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cyvaris
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Favorite D&D Class?   Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:23 pm

Hard pick, but it's probably a three way split between Warlock, Artificer, and Swordmage. I love my smart magic types and all three of those have a great "feel" to them. Swordmage|Artificer is one of my favorite Defender builds since it has a ton of "active" defenses and interrupts to manage. I'm still just said we never got an Int primary Striker in the 4e print run.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Felorn Gloryaxe
Epic Adventurer
Epic Adventurer

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Favorite D&D Class?   Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:19 pm

I forgot how cool the Artificer was... Make my original post a 4 way tie...

Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skwyd42
Paragon Adventurer
Paragon Adventurer

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Favorite D&D Class?   Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:04 am

Durriken wrote:
skwyd42 wrote:
Your friend isn't wrong.  Fighter is mostly a bit better than a battlemind.
TjD
The thing was that he had never played a Fighter before. He had only every played Wizards.

Scrivener of Doom
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Favorite D&D Class?   Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:38 am

Felorn Gloryaxe wrote:
I may have answered warlord, but I could have answered almost any of the classes. Almost all of them rock and would be fun in play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cyvaris
Heroic Adventurer
Heroic Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Favorite D&D Class?   Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:38 am

I really wish the Artificer had received more love. There is some awesome design space left. The ranged Artificer has decent Crossbow/Ranged support but other than that there is not much. It's got some dead levels powers wise as well.....and some scatter shot Paragon Paths (that seems to be a trend in 4e there are at least four class with bad PPs) so I wish the class had more support.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

PostSubject: Re: Favorite D&D Class?   Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:39 am

Scrivener of Doom wrote:
Felorn Gloryaxe wrote:
I may have answered warlord, but I could have answered almost any of the classes. Almost all of them rock and would be fun in play.
Yeh identical thought, my least favorite class is one of the hybrid classes I used in creating an awesome character... I love them all even if Warlord is very high on my list.

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” - Lazarus Long via Robert Heinlein.

One suspects Lugh Long-hand Samildánach (a wright/carpenter, a sailor, a smith/bronze craftsman, a healer, a champion, a harpist, a poet/historian, a sorcerer, cupbearer) would agree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
seti
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: seti
Class: warden
Race: hedgehog

PostSubject: Re: Favorite D&D Class?   Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:54 am

I usually DM, but since we have a smaller group (three players) I always have a PC that I run as an NPC.

I usually let them die, sacrifice them, turn them into a villain etc. for drama, and/or for saving my real PCs necks.

I had the most fun with an Eladrin Psion who took a few bard multi-class feats. He was INT primary, and CHA secondary. He also became the chief antagonist in the campaign JUST when everyone totally trusted him. Twisted Evil 
I also enjoyed a Thri-Kreen Monk (in Dark Sun). A striker with movement and slight control powers was weird at first, but got awesome quickly. The monk is unique in 4e. No one else has powers even remotely like a monk's.
Another one I tried out was the Seeker. That class didn't get enough love. Seriously. It has the potential to be a great class, IMO. If only it had more options, like almost ALL the other classes...
Lastly, I made a Warforged Artificer who built itself into a 'herself'. She was fun, and great for role-playing, as well as being a solid back up leader when the party's cleric was occupied.

I really, REALLY wanted to try a warlord...But, I didn't feel right about being the 'party leader', and having those types of powers, when I was also DMing.

I have to say that DMing a small group for a long time is great. I get to try out class/race combos...play with them for as long as I want, and then try something else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Favorite D&D Class?   Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:20 am

seti wrote:
I usually DM, but since we have a smaller group (three players) I always have a PC that I run as an NPC.

I usually let them die, sacrifice them, turn them into a villain etc. for drama, and/or for saving my real PCs necks.

I had the most fun with an Eladrin Psion who took a few bard multi-class feats. He was INT primary, and CHA secondary. He also became the chief antagonist in the campaign JUST when everyone totally trusted him. Twisted Evil 
I also enjoyed a Thri-Kreen Monk (in Dark Sun). A striker with movement and slight control powers was weird at first, but got awesome quickly. The monk is unique in 4e. No one else has powers even remotely like a monk's.
Another one I tried out was the Seeker. That class didn't get enough love. Seriously. It has the potential to be a great class, IMO. If only it had more options, like almost ALL the other classes...
Lastly, I made a Warforged Artificer who built itself into a 'herself'. She was fun, and great for role-playing, as well as being a solid back up leader when the party's cleric was occupied.

I really, REALLY wanted to try a warlord...But, I didn't feel right about being the 'party leader', and having those types of powers, when I was also DMing.

I have to say that DMing a small group for a long time is great. I get to try out class/race combos...play with them for as long as I want, and then try something else.
Ever heard of a Princess Build Warlord or aka a LazyLord? (leader role doesnt mean leader or front and center)

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?274402-The-Non-Combatant-(Princess)-or-How-to-Abuse-a-Warlord

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” - Lazarus Long via Robert Heinlein.

One suspects Lugh Long-hand Samildánach (a wright/carpenter, a sailor, a smith/bronze craftsman, a healer, a champion, a harpist, a poet/historian, a sorcerer, cupbearer) would agree.
Back to top Go down
Fjw70
Wannabe Adventurer
Wannabe Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Favorite D&D Class?   Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:00 am

I have always been a fighter-fan. I love kicking butt.

But as with many others around here I usually DM and don't get to play a PC much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
seti
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

Character sheet
Name: seti
Class: warden
Race: hedgehog

PostSubject: Re: Favorite D&D Class?   Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:04 am

Garthanos,

Yep, although I've never heard it called 'lazylord' or 'princess build', lol.
Actually, that's why I didn't want to do it for a DM controlled PC...I didn't want to be giving my real PC's tons of extra, free attacks...They'd get mad, tell me to stop, and maybe even accuse me of making things too easy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Favorite D&D Class?   Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:34 am

seti wrote:
Garthanos,

Yep, although I've never heard it called 'lazylord' or 'princess build', lol.
Actually, that's why I didn't want to do it for a DM controlled PC...I didn't want to be giving my real PC's tons of extra, free attacks...They'd get mad, tell me to stop, and maybe even accuse me of making things too easy.
The princess build can be played up for humor and since you get to spread around the boons she provides is about as innocuous a DMPC you can get, its all in the presentation. Ofcourse I also designed a Joxter where every attack he made was reflavored as luck, and where his mark itself was enemies getting annoyed with him...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite D&D Class?   

Back to top Go down

Favorite D&D Class?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4ENCLAVE :: 4th Edition :: 4e General Discussion-
Jump to: