4ENCLAVE

A new home for the 4th Edition of the Worlds Oldest Roleplaying Game

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Bettering the Presentation for new games based on the 4e paradigm

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
JohnLynch
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Bettering the Presentation for new games based on the 4e paradigm   Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:23 am

Garthanos wrote:
At one point I considered the idea of inverse attribute generation you choose background (or more precisely skills) and you choose class and these things determine attributes... the blacksmith, athlete, forceful fighter will have high strength. This idea came to mind in the GURPS era actually.
I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying background determines trained skills and class determines which ability modifier is used? So a sorcerer uses cha for arcana checks while a wizard uses int?

If so that's rather ingenious. My current thinking is going with suggested ability modifiers with players being able to justify other ability scores through role playing. A barbarian can justify strength for intimidate while a wizard uses their detailed knowledge of biology to intimidate the target (int).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet
Name: Garthanos
Class: Arcadian Knight
Race: Auld Worlder

PostSubject: Re: Bettering the Presentation for new games based on the 4e paradigm   Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:43 am

JohnLynch wrote:
Garthanos wrote:
At one point I considered the idea of inverse attribute generation you choose background (or more precisely skills) and you choose class and these things determine attributes... the blacksmith, athlete, forceful fighter will have high strength. This idea came to mind in the GURPS era actually.
I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying background determines trained skills and class determines which ability modifier is used? So a sorcerer uses cha for arcana checks while a wizard uses int?

If so that's rather ingenious. My current thinking is going with suggested ability modifiers with players being able to justify other ability scores through role playing. A barbarian can justify strength for intimidate while a wizard uses their detailed knowledge of biology to intimidate the target (int).
Put simply every other thing you choose for the most part determines your attributes.
GURPS didnt have much concept of different attributes bolstering a skill that is flexibility I have embraced much later.

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” - Lazarus Long via Robert Heinlein.

One suspects Lugh Long-hand Samildánach (a wright/carpenter, a sailor, a smith/bronze craftsman, a healer, a champion, a harpist, a poet/historian, a sorcerer, cupbearer) would agree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dyasdesigns.com/kingsmagic.html
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Bettering the Presentation for new games based on the 4e paradigm   Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:49 am

Or the most specific choices affect the more general capabilities.

I decided I specifically wanted ability in Arcana (which may be flexibly between 3 mental stats you pick which one )

So therefore other fields not specifically trained in will be affected by that choice. The idea being attributes are the least narrowed down thing so they are affected by all else.

Does that convey the idea better?

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” - Lazarus Long via Robert Heinlein.

One suspects Lugh Long-hand Samildánach (a wright/carpenter, a sailor, a smith/bronze craftsman, a healer, a champion, a harpist, a poet/historian, a sorcerer, cupbearer) would agree.
Back to top Go down
CHIA

PostSubject: Re: Bettering the Presentation for new games based on the 4e paradigm   Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:19 pm

Garthanos wrote:
One of the criticisms of fourth edition that struck a nerve to many folk was that the presentation of the game was lacking. This ranged from the use of the largely anachronistic term "power" to not including improvisation (alah page 42) in player facing examples.
I actually liked it. Beyond its surface-deep resemblance to WoW, it was an excellent system of design because it didn't try to impose flavor on the players using those powers.

/Troy McClure
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Bettering the Presentation for new games based on the 4e paradigm   Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:18 pm

Heh perhaps a thread where we talk about aspects of presentation we like from 4e, like having the player facing permission to reflavor and present your abilities in terms of your character (and possibly the situation at hand.)

Back to top Go down
JohnLynch
0th-Level Adventurer
0th-Level Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Bettering the Presentation for new games based on the 4e paradigm   Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:25 pm

Garthanos wrote:

I decided I specifically wanted ability in Arcana (which may be flexibly between 3 mental stats you pick which one )

So therefore other fields not specifically trained in will be affected by that choice. The idea being attributes are the least narrowed down thing so they are affected by all else.

so your skills/class features determine your ability scores? If you take training in athletics and are a GReat Weapon Fighter that must mean you're strong so you gain a high strength score?

Very interesting way to do it. Backwards from D&D but interesting nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Bettering the Presentation for new games based on the 4e paradigm   Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:03 am

JohnLynch wrote:
Garthanos wrote:

so your skills/class features determine your ability scores? If you take training in athletics and are a GReat Weapon Fighter that must mean you're strong so you gain a high strength score?

Very interesting way to do it. Backwards from D&D but interesting nonetheless.
From a general perspective its really doesnt matter much which direction you approach it - However the flexibility allowed by say melee training or zen, precision or forceful archer or inspired, intuited and learned religion ... or adding similar options to various other skills, those seem quite important both for enabling elegant multi-classing and character expression.

Back to top Go down
Garthanos

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Bettering the Presentation for new games based on the 4e paradigm   Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:07 am

JohnLynch wrote:
An example is:
Stay Back (Once per Battle)
Class: Fighter
Pre-requisite: Martial training
Action Type: Standard.
To Hit: Attack Bonus vs AC
I approve of the Attack Bonus flexibility it rocks

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bettering the Presentation for new games based on the 4e paradigm   

Back to top Go down

Bettering the Presentation for new games based on the 4e paradigm
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4ENCLAVE :: 4th Edition :: 4e General Discussion-
Jump to: